The ‘New Christian Zionism’ Isn’t Dispensationalism (Gerry McDermott)
What is the biblical relationship between Christians and the Jewish community? Dr. Gerry McDermott wades through the tough topics of supersessionism, dispensationalism, and Zionism. Throughout history, beliefs about God’s attitude toward the Jewish community have shaped Christians’ treatment of Jewish people. Hence, Christian positions on supersessionism and dispensationalism are not merely academic disputes; they can bear on Jewish people’s lives and well-being. They also bear on our understanding of biblical covenant, continuity between the Old and New Testaments, and salvation.
Dr. McDermott discusses what he believes to be the biblical view, which he calls the “new Christian Zionism.” He explains why he retained the contentious term “Zionism,” and why this view is distinctive.
- 0:00 Detangling the new Christian Zionism, dispensationalism, and supersessionism
- 7:55 Anglican and interdenominational support for Christian zionism
- 11:02 Why Gerry retains the term “Zionism”
- 17:13 Wait, are you saying that Jews are Christians, too?
- 25:24 Hopes for the relationship between the American church and the Jewish community and the state of Israel
Check out Dr. McDermott’s related book, The New Christian Zionism: Fresh Perspectives on Israel and the Land.
Show notes by Celina Durgin
Credits for the music TBM podcast: hebraicthought.org/credits.